Friday, August 10, 2007

Arizona Skinwalker by Lance

When I was about 12 years old, I was driving with my dad on a road from Window Rock, Arizona toward I-40 junction near Sanders, Arizona, and this road is located on the Navajo Nation. All the reservation is trees and high desert, and houses aren't found for miles and there isn't any electricity or running water. My dad and I were driving south and it was snowing and it was about 2 a.m. We were driving for about 40 minutes from Window Rock and my dad and I saw a woman beside the road with no shoes and no jacket. When we saw her, she was walking about 25 feet from the road. When we saw her, she didn't even look back to see who it is or even try to hitchhike; she just kept on walking like nothing was wrong. Then my dad says, "Damn, she must be freezing!" I started laughing because I thought she was drunk or something walking in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the night.

Then my dad pulled over for her and she was still walking, so my dad shouted in Navajo and English, "Hey, do you need a ride?" As soon as my dad yelled, she turned around slowly to look at us and her long hair was covering her face. You couldn't even see what her face looked like; her hair covered her whole head like a mop head. She slowly started walking toward us, stepping on rocks and branches and snow. She walked up to the truck on the passenger side where I was sitting and just stood by the window for like 15 seconds just looking at me. My dad said open the door, jump in the back. As soon as I opened the door, she just took off running away into the dark forest.

My dad and I were stunned because it was freezing out there and there wasn't civilization for miles. So I just closed the door and my dad closed the door. We just took off and thought "what the hell is her problem" because she looked like a regular person.

A couple weeks later, my dad was visiting some of his friends who lived within five miles of the area and my dad just mentioned what happened to them and their faces just looked stunned and they said, "Was her hair covering her whole head and had no shoes?" My dad said, "Yeah" Then they said, "It wasn't a real lady. She's a ghost."

My dad and I were like, what? She looked like a real person. My dad's friends weren't surprised because the Navajos are used to hearing weird stories like that.

Hope everyone enjoys the Skinwalker Blog and that you will check back often for more.